Friday, April 14, 2006

Spring is in the air: sprouting broccoli with hollandaise

This simple recipe is from Veg: The Greengrocer's Cookbook by Greg Wallace, the British God of Green Things. It was reprinted in the May 2006 issue of Olive, yet another British food magazine, published by BBC. The only change I made to the recipe was omitting the anchovies, as I have none in my kitchen, and being not a fan of the given fish, I didn't rush out to rectify the situation. By all means, feel free to scatter some chopped salty fillets on top.

Sprouting broccoli with hollandaise
(Spargelkapsavõrsed hollandi kastmega)
Serves 4



500 grams of sprouting broccoli, trimmed
salt, water

For the hollandaise sauce:
2 egg yolks
1 Tbsp smooth Dijon mustard
half a juiced lemon
125 grams butter, melted & slightly cooled
salt & black pepper

Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil, add the trimmed broccoli and boil for 4-5 minutes, until broccoli is al dente.
While sprouting broccoli are boiling, make the hollandaise. Whisk the egg yolks, mustard and lemon juice together until combined and doubled in volume. Gradually pour in the melted butter, whisking all the time. Season the sauce with salt and pepper.
Arrange the drained sprouting broccoli on warm plates and pour over the sauce (and anchovies, if you're into that kind of thing:)

And Happy Easter to everyone! I'll be posting about Estonian Easter dessert, pasha, later this week!

11 comments:

Antti said...

Hehe, everybody from the East(ish) seems to be blogging about pasha. Yours truly too :o) My secret weapon is Anna's kulitsa recipe, which is unbeatable. Truly. Wait and see :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Easter to you as well!

Stephanie said...

Oh yums! I think I may have to make that! Drool.

Pene said...

I love broccoli, also.
I have to find a recipe for poppy seed dressing to put on my broccoli.

Valentina said...

I have never made holandaise sauce.Perhaps it's time I give it a go.
Happy Easter to you!!

Anonymous said...

I love broccoli but I've never tried the sprouting broccoli and never seen it in the shops here in Switzerland.

If I come across it in the shops I will definately give your recipe a try!

Thredahlia said...

Jõudsin just näljasena oma ühe riigiga piirduvalt ümbermaailmareisilt tagasi.. ja mida ma näen.
Veelkord tõestatud, et tühja kõhuga ei tohi su blogi lugeda :D
Kust ma need spargelkapsavõrsed nüüd välja võlun!?

Pille said...

Antti - I beat you to blogging about pasha:) But very much looking forward to reading about your sinful kulitsa recipe - you naughty boy!

Bea - thank you!

Stephanie - I thought it was a really nice dish for very little effort. Like most of my dishes:)

Pene - poppy seed dressing? Vau! Would be interesting to hear about it. My friend has made a goats' cheese salad with raspberry-poppy seed dressing, but not sure if it'd go with (sprouting) broccoli..

Valentina - I must admit that it was my first time as well. I liked it, and it didn't curdle or do anything else scary..

Pamela - it's like broccoli, just with long slender stems and smaller heads. Looks more elegant, although the taste is pretty much the same:)

Oh, Thredahlia - häda korral ajavad tavalised spargelkapsaõisikud ka asja ära, kuigi ei ole nii spargellikult elegantsed:)

Thredahlia said...

Tegin sparglist ja spargelkapsast - meeletult maitsev, ideaalne kombinatsioon. Kindlasti teen kunagi veel. Köögiviljad aurutasin keetmise asemel.

Pille said...

Tore kuulda! Ja aurutamine on ka hea mõte.
Kas Sa panid sparglid ja spargelkapsad sedasi kenasti taldrikule, et said spargelkapsavõrsed? ;-)

Thredahlia said...

no peaaegu :D, leidlikkust peab olema